Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Head and The Heart: Live @ Neumo's 1/14/11

Don't read this. Seriously. Many other Seattle-based music observers will have much better accounts of this show, replete with pictures and set-lists and name-dropping. Go read one of those. May I suggest http://www.soundonthesound.com/? They'll probably have one-on-one interviews with all the band members and professional video you can download to your smartphone... All in all, it's probably a much better use of your time. Trust me.

Me? I just got home from this show, and I still have no idea what I'm going to say... I don't know which angle I am going to try and tackle this from.

First, the openers.

Lemolo is hands-down amazing. That is all I can say. I don't know how many more times I'll get to see these ladies, but each time I've been lucky enough to do so I have been blown away. Meagan's voice has always been superb, but it is beginning to take on a life of its own. She is developing a sultriness that invokes Beth Gibbons of Portishead, and it suits her well. Kendra is not only a bad-ass drummer, but conquers the difficult task (for someone behind a drumkit) of being fun to watch--her levity brings a great contrast to Lemolo's music, which can be intense. It's nice to have the balance. If you scroll down this blog a ways, you'll find me marvelling at how much these girls don't seem like twentysomethings, but rather like a well-oiled songmaking machine that has been churning out rock-solid music for years. Seeing them do it live only re-affirms that sentiment.

Curtains For You may be the most musically talented band in Seattle. If you don't believe me, name another group who could bust out a sousaphone at the drop of a hat. These songs are marvelous: they sparkle with 60's multi-part melodies and shine with 21st century wit. Matt Gervais has an enviable range, and a penchant for making really difficult vocal parts seem effortless; and the entire band has a penchant for making really complicated music extremely catchy and danceable. Do yourself a favor and see them. Soon.

The Head and The Heart. Does one talk about how genuine this band is? How do you articulate that? I could talk about the goosebumps I get when they play. But goosebumps are so trite and played-out. Everyone talks about goosebumps. I'd like to think I might be a bit more creative than that. Do I talk about the harmonies? Everyone goes on and on about The Head and The Heart's harmonies. Sure, it's safe, and nigh-indisputable...but why retread well-worn ground?

Let's talk about how they came out to a rousing Jay-Z number. I can't imagine anything more awesomely contradictory than a band like this hitting the stage for one of their first headlining gigs in their hometown with the PA blaring "Bounce wit' me, bounce wit' me...". At the time, I wasn't sure if it was staged that way or if it was just a joke played by the sound guy: I mean, the band was droppin' 'bows all over the place like they expected it, but then again, who doesn't love that song?

I could talk about how they owned the stage... I get the feeling that this band could make Carnegie Hall feel like your living room. They bring a warmth and authenticity to any venue that breaks barriers. Anytime a Seattle hipster crowd can raise its collective fists and sing along without any hint of irony or sarcasm, it is a victory.

But here I go, back to the word "Genuine". That's the best word to describe it. These songs are not altogether unheard-of. They are made of familiar parts: Beatles-esque piano melodies, a rhythm section worthy of Crazy Horse, Charity's vocal parts channeling Alela Diane or Laura Gibson, the ability to concentrate and synthesize the downhome folksiness of any number of classic rock torchbearers, etc., etc. But many bands who have easily-noticeable influences merely sound like they are mimicking those they admire. This band uses those elements as stepping stones to create a feeling and a sound that only belongs to them. No other act I've seen can make something so universal, so visceral, out of parts so seemingly anachronistic. While they are on stage, each member of the crowd--if properly invested emotionally--gets a feeling of being loved, simply for their presence and their willingness to participate. The foot-stomping and hand-clapping becomes contagious; the lyrics become salvos of all the things we are thinking in our heads and then censoring because they ring too true.

Even though they only recently got their record deal, this band is huge. And somehow, many of us are only now noticing that they always have been. From the grandiose road-tripping of "Down in the Valley" to the stately tenderness of "Winter Song", they've been simply being--not becoming--larger than life. All this time they've been saying, "We're well on our way...", and it has been true, in ways we couldn't even begin to conceptualize.

That will never be more obvious than it was tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good review. I went to the show and it was hands down, the most incredible show that I have ever seen. The Head and the Heart are amazing. There is something so magical about them and I can't wait to see where they go next in their careers. Words can not even give justice or capture how good they really are. I may be their number #1 fan!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete